Thursday, July 19, 2007

Unisphere

I had a meeting with the Parks Department that had me out to Flushing Meadows Park in Queens today. It was the first time I had ever been so close to this phenomenal public sculpture. Of course, as a New Yorker I grew up driving by this old site of the 1964-1965 World's Fair when my parents and I would come into the city for a museum day or field trip. Not to mention I think it was in the opening credits of a standard kids show like Sesame Street, so it is forever ingrained in my brain as a classic New York City icon.
The massive stainless steel globe stands 140 feet tall and weighs 900,000 pounds, including the 100-ton tripod base. The theme of the '64/'65 World's Fair was "Peace Through Understanding" and the Unisphere was conceived and commissioned to be the main symbol of the fair. It was designed by landscape architect Gilmore D. Clark and built by the United States Steel Corporation.
It's a pretty brilliant testimonial to New York City as a place where so many worlds come together.

No comments: