Friday, August 15, 2008

notes from summer

I know this is the never ending question, but how is it that summer always goes so fast? It has been such a busy and wonderful last few weeks we've been having. I can't believe I haven't gotten a post up in so long. There are tons of pics I still have to get posted to flickr but I thought I would add a few quick notes this morning before heading to the office.
In late July we went east to the folks house to catch up with my brothers and Frosty and little miss Ea. Here she is discovering watermelon. She also figured out that cold bottles are fabulous for teething but "shhh", don't tell her dad that she prefers the good beer!Then as part of the A&K Summer Tour '08 we traveled south to another bit of ocean in Avalon, NJ, where we met up with Krissy's best friend from growing up. We had a few gloriously lazy days chilling at the beach and tossing back cold ones with the Deck family in their sweet little summer casa.


Below is what you get when you cross an ex-military man with a love of summer camping. Arguably one of the best kindling containers I've ever seen. ...makes me laugh every time.
Our summer camping trips with the Dunkle clan are always a good time. This year we trekked a short distance into PA for a long, relaxing weekend in the woods. Janaya, Krissy's niece, is now in her twos and there is nothing terrible about it. A bundle of energy she is. Here we are pre-breakfast and much time poolside.
Eventually we had to come back to the city and it was nice to be home. Back to the grind, back to the "Great Search '08" for those of you in the know. One afternoon I was able to get a sneak peak of a portion of the High Line I had never seen before. Among other things, like the insane storms that have been rolling through the city, I was able to see some killer graffiti for the first time. Now, I'm no street art aficionado, but I loved "on tha radar". Not to mention graffiti always makes me think of my friend Erika. I don't know why, I just think she has a good appreciation for it.
But then the biggest news for us came much more recently. Allow me to introduce the newest member of our family, Melvin Motorboat. Melvin was an abused kitty who Krissy discovered while working at ASPCA. Even though the case is still open, and he is not yet up for adoption, we have been allowed to foster Melvin at home until his arm is better and he's back on all fours again. Well, not that he's not trying, this little guy is a total bundle of energy and we already love him like a member of the family.
Why "Motorboat" you might ask? Sure enough this little guy is a purr machine. According to his file he scratched his previous owner and she decided to toss his ass, causing head trauma and a broken arm. Geez, how can people be so mean and stupid?!?! I mean, look at this, litte bit of terrific.

Chat with you all again shortly when I don't have to race off. Hope you are all enjoying your respective summers. Cheers,

No comments: