Saturday, October 3, 2009

Saturday morning projectizing

I just unearthed about a hundred spring bloom pics I had completely forgotten about. Here is the flower of a Hyslop variety Malus floribunda, a Japanese crabapple. Supposedly these trees were raised on a farm up the Hudson and brought down the river in full bloom one spring before being planted at their permanent home within the Conservatory Garden in Central Park. Today the trees make up two formal allees that are spectacular in any season. The trees were supposedly planted at 10-years-old or thereabouts so today they are well into their 80's.

It's a cloudy fall day in New York City. The weather is mild today but with the early trees like the crabapples and the native flowering dogwood beginning to change color we are forced to acknowledge the passing of another season. And that is fine by me. This time of year is my favorite. Returning to jeans and hooded sweatshirts feels cozy and comfortable, the cute city girls don their foxy sweaters making us men do double-takes, and we celebrate the coming of cold with weekend walks in fallen leaves and football season. But alas, as we get older we can't help but once again ask the rhetorical question, "where does the time go?"
September was sensational yet a blink of the eye. I didn't get to take nearly enough photographs or enjoy ample free time to allow for blogging. You can probably relate. So today I am trying to attempt a little catching up. Looking back through my pictures I realize I am months and months behind updating the flickr account and the arborboy blog. My hopes are to get a number of new (old) posts up here soon but realistically I realize that could take a little while, a long while, forever, maybe never in fact. In any event, I encourage you to check out my flickr page and check out the hundreds of images I have been uploading. It is true, they date all the way back to April and therefore are perfectly outdated, but hey, maybe they will help put a fire under your ass to get out there and get some bulbs planted, to think about what worked in the garden this year, assess what didn't, make your notes on the year, update your maps before things die back completely, and enjoy putting your garden to sleep knowing spring is actually just around the corner. Here are a few tastes...


perennial Geranium

Magnolia x soulangiana is commonly called a saucer magnolia

Rhododendron 'Delaware Valley White' we know as a 'Delaware Valley White' azalea

pretty sure this is Spiraea nipponica 'Snowmound', a Snowmound Nippon spirea

and Wisteria floribunda, Japanese wisteria, so insanely aggressive but clearly so beautiful in early May.

No comments: