Monday, May 19, 2008

And on the 8th day, God created days off

I have had the opportunity to get to know an amazing author named Patricia Klindienst over the last year or so. Patricia wrote a book called The Earth Knows My Name: Food, Culture, and Sustainability in the Gardens of Ethnic Americans, and quite simply, it's amazing. She writes about different populations of people all over the country and their relation to their gardens and the land and the food that connects them so closely together. Like herself, her writing is eloquent and engaging and takes you right there, from the pueblo in New Mexico to the coast of South Carolina. I had never thought about which of the thirteenth colonies was the greatest producer of rice in the new Americas. I never knew you could grow so much in the desert. We forget about the power of folklore and history and oral tradition sometimes. At one of her talks at The Horticultural Society Patricia talked about the power of seeds. From the standpoint of the people she had met while researching her book, seeds are perhaps the greatest gift you can give or receive. As a horticulturist this made perfect sense to me. I can't easily articulate it. It's the gift of life, of a plant that can grow and thrive, but it can give you greater understanding too. Seeds are not just connected to plants, but they're connected to history and humans and our relationship with the land. So, when a package came from my friend Erin and it was loaded with tropical seeds she has collected while living in Florida I was truly awestruck. What a sweet gesture, I am so flattered to have such a dear friend. Some of the names I knew, most names I had never heard before. Six species in total. So many seeds to sow. Such a wonderful gift.

After seven days of work I've made it successfully to a day off. And as I've said in the past I'm not strictly devote to one faith, but the phrase "Thank God" sure does flow pretty easy off the tongue. Gym felt good this morning. The Ipod shuffle on the stereo is treating me well. I've made a list of all the things I'd love to do today, and it now sits in the kitchen a couple rooms away. And I sit here, rather motionless, and slightly dewildered. Not sure where to begin I guess. Sort of like when you go shopping only to arrive at the destination, become completely overwhelmed at all the selection, and instantly feel as if you have no idea what your taste is or mission was in the first place. And not that sitting here enjoying the peace and quiet isn't very nice, but it seems like I ought to be capitalizing more on this day off.

Luckily the last seven weren't nothing but work. There was a birthday thrown in there, on Tuesday the 13th to be exact. It was a great day. I had to work but I made sure that I was nowhere near the office. Instead I made my office for the day three different gardens in Brooklyn. It was a beautiful day and zipping around in the new wheels checking on the gardens and cleaning them up all by myself felt centering and calming. Between two of the gardens in Bushwick is situated my brothers house so I stopped in to see Frosty and Ea. Miss Ea had a stuffed up nose and was being quite the little fusser. Her adorable expressions ranging from bliss to misery in a single moment had Frosty and I laughing away. Ea was clearly not as amused, and made no hesitation to exercise her lungs and let us know. We walked the house up and down and over again.

Eventually the gardens looked good enough that I could walk away for the day and I retreated home to find my love with her notebooks studying for finals to happen the next day. Beside her two wrapped packages sat on the coffee table. Funny how a little gift wrap can bring on such a smile. We transitioned from work to play and resumed our perch on the couch. I wasted no time. The paper torn my hands stopped and my eyes grew, large. "Are you serious?" I pondered aloud. I don't remember, but I bet a deep belly laugh followed. I was 100% surprised and very psyched. At 31 I finally got my first Nintendo! How perfectly ridiculous. But, I am still smiling. Exactly what I wanted, even though I had never realized it. I had played Wii a few times before and not a surprise I loved it. Then one night Juan had a party (shh, don't tell the bosses) at his new office and my love got her first dose. I take it she thought it was pretty fun too. Found a used one around the corner. Genius.

Inevitably someone would ask me if I felt older. I think it was my mom. I was pruning back some spirea shrubs that had gotten too shaded out by a stand of amazing birch trees. Aside from the present waiting on the coffee table, I was having a rather grown-up day so I said "I guess so". It was my kind of day, typical but comfortable. Interesting to think about it that way. No shots at midnight or plans to get wasted, just a delish dinner up at Fatty's courtesy of my sweetie. I was active and outside and enjoying the world around me, enjoying my lists and challenges and goals for the day, knowing full well that a comfy home and relaxed evening await, not to mention the best hugs in the world. No push for cake or candles, just good conversations and run-ins with friends. A flurry of text messages and voicemail from those that rock. The retreat to comfy pants. The sighs of relief. I guess I am getting older. But, I couldn't ask for my life to be much better so I'll take the extra digit and perhaps some newfound wisdom.

A card came in the mail today. A sweet note from my girlfriend's mom and a treat of some cashable currency. Perhaps I'll take that walk to the plant shop after all. Leave that list on the table for a little while more. Hell, I'll have another day in a week or so. Thank you to all of my friends and family and loved ones for your extraordinary gifts and blessings. So we're now officially in our thirties, so be it. It's all about being a kid at heart, right?!?

Mmm, soft serve!

No comments: