Sunday, May 4, 2008

sometimes I love limbed-up shrubs

Granted they often have to be pretty mature like these rhododendron, but I love how older shrubs can often be limbed-up and transformed into a great new element in the landscape. I doubt this was intentional as much as necessary given the shade canopy building above the rhodies, but still a great outcome. My friend Nisse once cleaned up a yard of junkie junipers with an aggressive pair of pruners and transformed them into these amazing living sculptures up on the bluffs in Springs. They almost had a Japanese or Bonsai feel to them, and they looked badass to me.

Back to the rhodies, they had been pruned up enough that you could just barely stand beneath them. It just looked like a space that totally invited a little seating area or maybe even a well crafted table that could fit within the legs of the rhododendron. That is, if this were in a home garden and not a cemetery.

No comments: