Tuesday, November 4, 2008

America Speaks


I just returned from the polling station in my neighborhood, a local public school coated in bright paint and young minds creations. It was a bit of a zoo but the staff were keeping their cool and moving along the crowds as smoothly as possible. I voted and thanked everyone for working and helping me out today. As I was walking home I saw a close neighbor, one of the many matriarchs in this little part of Queens. We stopped and gabbed for a sec and she admitted that this is the first time she is voting. As a first time voter at 50, I could tell she was nervous so I told her what to expect - this table, that table, they'll show you the machine, etc. In addition to her voting in this election she mentioned that her daughters are voting for the first time too. They are 21 or 22 and on their way to being strong and educated women. I was so excited to hear that they are all being sure to vote today. I think this election is a call to action like never before, and I am so proud that people are stepping up to the challenge. America is speaking up, and I couldn't possibly be any more thrilled. Thank you for voting, and if you haven't yet, be sure to.

There is an electricity in the air, and it feels great!

No comments: