Friday, January 29, 2010

the last day of 2009 (in snow)

I realized during yesterday's snow shower that I never posted these images of the Conservatory Garden to the blog. This is the morning of New Year's Eve. My friend and mentor Lynden B. Miller loves to quote Belgian landscape architect Jacques Wirtz as saying "A garden that is not beautiful in winter is not a beautiful garden". Clearly I couldn't agree more. Enjoy.
Yucca filamentosa 'Color Guard' at the end of one of the perennial beds in the English garden at the south end of the Conservatory Garden, accompanied by the fabulous structure of oakleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia) and other shrubs, grasses and perennials providing winter interest.
It is under a fresh snow that I most love the crabapple (Malus floribunda) allees on either side of the central Italianate garden.
For it is winter that allows you the best chance to see the bones of a garden, the mix of smart horticulture and invaluable age that makes a place like this so special.

"Three Dancing Maidens" by German sculptor Walter Schott is a sensational piece of public art easily adored in every season.




I know, I know, I post a ton of images of the Conservatory Garden. But I think it is really important that people know this is a public space in Harlem, at 105th Street and Fifth Avenue, intended for all to enjoy, and in my opinion one of the best things in Manhattan.


1 comment:

Crystal said...

*Gorgeous* pictures of the snow-dusted sculptures, and your blog is really great! I was researching the Star Magnolia 'Centennial' tree when I stumbled across your site, and it's nice to discover another great gardening blog.