Sunday, May 22, 2011

Indian Wells, early sunday morning, with coffee

I was home for the weekend helping my folks. Sunday morning I woke up early and headed right down to Indian Wells. It was about 6:30 and I had my board, wetsuit and booties in the car. Arriving at the beach I probably consider home more than any man-made structure the sea was flat. The dog walkers were relishing their pre-crowd freedom, the pups playing wildly. The surflessness of the morning meant I could enjoy staying dry, park for a bit, and have my coffee like the others reading their papers and glimpsing at the ocean from the neighboring spots. I checked in with the world and found out that an amazing matriarch and civic-minded local named Ann Buckhout had passed away after a long bout with cancer. Brian, her son, was letting people know. Thinking of him and his brother Chris, close in age to my older brother Gian Carlo and I, my heart sank. How do you fathom such a thing? The oceans vastness stretched out in front of me, the calm seas and gray skies so apt for such a somber and sobering moment. Beyond Brian's words there was nothing to say:
"Heaven received a very special addition today. Mom- you will always be loved in my heart, and Dad- show her the way..."

On behalf of the entire Feleppa family our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to Brian and Chris and the whole Buckhout family. Our thoughts are with you...

No comments: