Wednesday, September 10, 2008

faithful to the journey of life

Wednesday was a crisp and clear September morning out on the North Fork of Long Island. The funeral for my grandmother was held at St. Patrick's in Southold at 10am. Tim did one of the most poignant readings of Ecclesiastes. Father Ken spoke about my grandmother being faithful to the journey of life as we all must strive to be. My mother called him a tough act to follow but she did fabulous herself. Anne Denzler Worth was a lady in every sense of the word and we honored that. Following church and a gathering in the cemetery to bring Nanny back by my grandfather's side we migrated to the water to have lunch and reminisce and enjoy the day as Anne and Bud would have.
(Oh, you know you can click on the pictures to see them enlarged)
Everywhere we looked there were subtle reminders of the joys my grandparents found during their lives. It was a perfect day to be on the water. I loved when we used to take an evening ride on Pop-Pop's boat after dinner.

Nanny was always a lover of birds and bird watching so all the visitors were welcome.


Pepi's had a great big tented area loaded with food and drink but most of us gathered to bask in the sun out back.
Cousin Skip and my dad.

Mom having a blast telling stories to Joanie Worth and Aunt Brennie.

Uncle Whoop was looking sharp.

Ed Worth and Tom Fantini hoped on the cocktail train. The family made sure there was no lack of Canadian Club, Nan's drink of choice.

I hadn't seen my cousins Mike and Skip together in a while so that was really a treat. Talk about a couple of great characters.

My cousins on my dad's side made the trip down from Connecticut with my Aunt and that really meant a lot to my folks. Sue Woods and Gian Carlo Feleppa were keeping it positive.

We were all tempted to hop in the water. Frosty and Tim at least got to wriggle their toes a bit. Morgane had just flown east from LA and we were so glad she did.

Ea was stealing the show all morning and afternoon. Here she is in the arms of my mom, the newly appointed grandmother. And here we are, accepting the joy and sorrow life brings, and through it all doing our best to be faithful to the journey.

No comments: