Monday, September 8, 2008

"I think shuffle is psychic"

TodayI let people know I was leaving my job for a good step in the right direction for me these days. The feedback was amazingly positive but still a heavy day and series of emails to write and send. Luckily the ipod shuffle was treating me good on the ride home from the office. My old roommate Jen and I would talk about the psychic properties of shuffle at times. At times it does deliver a perfect soundtrack you couldn't script. I didn't pay attention the whole time but scribbled down a few names in the outer margin of the wrinkled paper as I'm known to do.

"Ballade" by Illyah Kuryahkin off the album Count No Count
The melodic distortion of this album blows my mind. I don't know what it is, but I can listen to songs off this album over and over and over again. If I could make distortion sound that pretty I might quit horticulture.


"Sprout and the Bean" by Joanna Newsom off the album The Milk-Eyed Mender
Combine this album with grad school in horticulture followed by subway adventures all over the five boroughs to end up at the best hidden gem gardens and you have a pretty fabulous series of mental snapshots. If only I could describe the dichotomous magnificence of grit and beauty. I thank Jake Martin for turning me on to Joanna Newsom.


"Battle of Who Could Care Less" by Ben Folds Five off the album Whatever & Ever Amen
Takes me back to another place and time yet in the post-work subway rumble I can't help but think of a certain someone acting painfully unprofessional these days. I rock back and forth losing focus on the crossword. I'm rocking out like Ben would want my white ass to be.


"Drag Days" by Guided By Voices off the album Under the Bushes Under the Stars
I was originally given this album by either Tim or Gian Carlo, my brothers, because our friend Shelby from Memphis played on it. It was a long time ago and it took me a little while to get into it, but now this might be one of my fave GBV records.

Others made appearences of note but it is now late and I have a long day at my new job tomorrow. Thank God I'll be back in the gardens.

No comments: