Sunday, May 16, 2010

Goes Well with Sunday Morning Coffee

In the 80's when I was growing up my older brother had a VHS tape of "Friday Night Rock Videos and Interviews". It had an interview with a young Mick Jagger that was his reason for having the tape but I loved all the videos and would watch them over and over again. I remember Huey Lewis and the News with "The Heart of Rock and Roll" at the start of the tape, and Duran Duran's "Save a Prayer" at the end, and of course ZZ Top blowing my young mind with "Legs". Hello! ...and then there was this video. The night after my dad taped it for us we watched it back in the living room and when this song came on I remember my brother being psyched. I paid attention, and the tune stuck out to me too as something sensational. I came to know The Icicle Works well, but alas that would be their only hit in the US (in the UK they had many more chart makers). This is a great combo of songwriting and lo-fi rock video work, today a wonderful flashback to a simpler place and time. This is The Icicle Works with "Whisper to a Scream (Bird's Fly)" from 1984. Enjoy.

No comments: