Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Staycation Day 5 of 9: Museum of Natural History

This week I am off from work and very much enjoying a "staycation". After a delicious lunch today at a fabulous apartment belonging to one of my volunteers on the Upper West Side, complete with a few lovely lunchtime beverages, I decided to hop off the downtown train at 81st Street and revisit one of my most favorite places from my youth, the American Museum of Natural History. Without question the Museum of Natural History with it's timeless exhibitions and halls of knowledge would be a major influence in my choosing to study anthropology and art, installation and curation. Part of the reason for this spontaneous vacation was to find, or refind perhaps, inspiration. I've been feeling really burned out on life and work and the routine. I needed to remember fun and purpose and creativity. I needed to see something new, or at least in a different light. So, I figured why not go to the source...
These are just crappy pics I shot on my iPhone, but if you have ever been then hopefully they will spark some memories.
The dioramas...



The statuary of early Central America...

Still love the totem poles...

A perfect way to spend a rainy Wednesday. Eventually the mobs of people would get to me and I'd run away, but invigorated and with a smile, no doubt.

No comments: