Saturday, August 20, 2011

Anyone know grasshoppers?

The other day I was working by a patch of Stachys byzantina, the low-growing semi-evergreen perennial we call lambs' ears. (Native to Iran, lambs' ears like full sun and can handle some exposure, fine in USDA Hardiness Zones 4-8) Then I noticed that there was a little critter atop the amazingly soft silver foliage so I had to go in for a closer look.
Though I have had some great entomological education over the years I have to admit I don't know my grasshoppers at all! But either way, what a great looking creature.
Do you know different species of grasshoppers? And if so, want to take a guess as to what this one is? I'd love to know more about this guy.

To steal a terrible tagline from my youth, Inquiring Minds want to know!!

No comments: