Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fagus sylvatica 'Pendula'

I was trying to think today of a favorite plant. Names came and went and then I thought about a weeping European beech tree. I was thinking about growing up on Indian Wells and the property across from St. Mary's Lane. I'd go by it a million times on my way to and from the ocean. The front yard was big and expansive and situated on a slope, the house on top of the rise in the distance. And all those trees! Every kind, big ones, small ones, evergreen, deciduous, this crazy tree that looked like a living fountain of branches and leaves. In the snow I wanted to climb inside and make a winter fort and camp out in there. Each one takes on a different form, but each so beautiful and graceful. Fagus sylvatica 'Pendula' is a favorite, one of many. This one is up at Wave Hill. I took this photo in late April of 2005 soon after I went back to school for horticulture. Even pre-leaves it's such a great structure in the landscape.

1 comment:

Erica said...

I love that phrase -- "a living fountain". What a beautiful image.