Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wave Hill

Up in the Bronx around 252nd Street right on the Hudson River is an old estate turned public garden and cultural institution called Wave Hill. I first went there as a horticulture student with NYBG in 2005 and quickly fell in love. The main house and other buildings are tucked into a large hillside of sloped lawns with spectacular trees and woody plants. When you walk around Wave Hill it is certainly serene, but there is also a great feel of security because of the history and age of the property and the trees and gardens. It's almost as if you've been swept away to another place and time. The maturity of the trees and shrubs simply amazes me.
And then you stumble across the perennial gardens, and smaller displays, and the glass houses full of tropicals and genius succulents and cactus. I always thought woody plants were my main love but then these little adaptive creatures blow my mind.

This is public horticulture done right. If you live in the city and want a little escape that isn't too far away, check out Wave Hill. Even before everything has leafed out the design and plant and man-made structures throughout the landscape are phenomenal. I was up there recently and took a few pics while strolling around. Check 'em out at my flickr page. Enjoy.

Mellow Saturday in Queens. Sun looks nice out there. We have a good day of apartment spring cleaning ahead of us. Good tunes on the stereo to keep us going, and trying my damnedest not to over-mentalize on my day off. Let's keep it easy.

On the stereo: The B-52's, Cosmic Thing

No comments: