Saturday, March 8, 2008

Flowering x Laeliocattleya 'Gold Rush'

Just about a year ago I was working for The Horticultural Society of New York after having graduated The School of Professional Horticulture up at NYBG. I was at The Gramercy Garden and Antique Show informing people about the many resources and horticultural offerings of HSNY and across the way was an orchid vendor. Sure enough, after three days of working the show I caved and bought myself a number of new orchids for my kitchen at home. The room is naturally very sunny so I looked for orchids that could tolerate a lot of light, and chose in the direction of Cattleya and and various Cattleya hybrids. I also made a point of choosing orchids that had pseudobulbs. Pseudobulbs are swollen stems on some orchid plants from which leaves and flower spikes emerge. These swollen stems can have varying shapes and sizes. Some are indeed very bulbous while others may be more stalk-like. Either way these structures help the plants to store water and nutrients through times of drought. This does not mean that if you have orchids with pseudobulbs you never have to water them. It just means that if you have to be away for more than a week or two your orchids will most likely be fine. I also like orchids that have pseudobulbs because they are simply more plant to look at. Between blooms the plant still have some height and girth to it, unlike something like a Phalaenopsis, or moth orchid, which between blooms is perhaps a little less showy with its low-lying leaves. But, I'm getting off on a tangent and that is all just a matter of personal taste anyway. I digress.

The orchid photographed above is a hybrid of two types of orchids, a cross between a Laelia and a Cattleya. When orchids are crossed with each other to create a new genetic hybrid, the new name is a combination of the two, or in some cases, three or four names. Therefore, this is a x Laeliocattleya named 'Gold Rush'. I bought it as a mature plant but it was not in bloom at the time. Over the last year it grew three new pseudobulbs, each about 5" or 6" tall. Generally Laeliocattleyas only produce one or two large leaves on the top of each pseudobulb, and then a protective sheath from which the flower spike will emerge. The plants grew like crazy but in the case of this orchid it was a long time that the sheath was present before the flower spike finally emerged. However, just a couple weeks ago the flower spikes began to emerge.
At first the flower spike was tiny, but it slowly began to unfurl to show four or five miniature flower buds.
The peduncle, the stalk on which the flower buds form, begins to elongate and the buds begin to swell. Eventually they get large enough that they begin to show their color.
And then, finally, the buds open and I get to see what 'Gold Rush' looks like in person. The flowers are rather compact compared to other Cattleya hybrids, only a couple inches in height.
What a pleasure to be able to grow something so beautiful. I will make sure to keep it watered very lightly but regularly and will try and keep the humidity up as high as I can so that the flowers hold their form for a while. I have glazed saucers with pebbles underneath all my orchids and I find that a little extra water in the saucers that can evaporate and provide a little extra moisture to the immediate area around the plant often helps a lot.

You can find orchids many places thanks to their popularity over the years. I have found many down in the Flower District on 28th Street that have held up very well. I experimented with mail ordering some orchids and those I have had great success with. Cheap orchids at huge retailers who don't specialize in plants I am hesitant to buy, but again, that's just me. I like knowing where my plants are grown and supporting those growers. Of course, right now the Orchid Show is happening up at NYBG and if you can get up to the Bronx you really must treat yourself. Just remember, if you are taking one home and it's chilly outside, anywhere below 60, make sure your orchids are wrapped very well in a lot of plastic or cellophane. It's criminal
to see people walking down the street with unwrapped orchids in winter or early spring because
I know the flowers will not hold up if they get frost-bitten, even if it's only for "a minute.

No comments: