Monday, June 27, 2011

"one of the best offices in the city"

This is the Conservatory Garden in Central Park, the park's one and only set of formal European gardens. For almost three years this has been my workplace and it has been amazing. Standing at the Vanderbilt Gate and looking west into the garden you see the central Italian garden with it's lawn, hedges, and wisteria covered pergola. Every day I see hundreds of people stand in this spot and take this same photograph, in awe of the garden they have just "discovered". As I begin to transition to a new challenge within my life as a horticulturist I saw this visual coming into work this morning and had to stop myself. Usually I mock the masses shooting the same boring old shot, but today the scene struck a chord deeper down in my soul and I had to pause a second and take it in again like it was the first time. I pulled out my phone and with the gates still locked behind me and the place all to myself I snapped this shot as millions have done before. When people say how nice it must be to work in such a magical setting my reply is simple and truthful and always delivered with a smile. "Well, I always say, one of the best offices in the city!" I know my new adventures are what's right for me and my career moving forward, but I sure am going to miss calling this place my turf.

The Conservatory Garden in located at 105th and 5th Avenue on the east side of Central Park and open free of charge every day of the year from 8am until dusk. For more information go to the official website of Central Park, www.centralparknyc.org

No comments: