Saturday, June 28, 2008

where my eyes go

I don't know what it is about old dilapidated signs, but I sure do love them. Big old commercial signs hinting to by-gone eras and their products. If they involve painted brick even better. They send me into a total world of wonderment. I can enjoy getting stuck thinking about what the scene looked like back then, and how different from today. The gadgets and technology of the time, the employees and how they acted, the customers and how they were dressed. The combination of studying anthropology and art during college might explain some part of this funny fascination. Perhaps the fact my father was in advertising for well over 35 years. Who knows, following horticulture maybe I'll go into graphic design.

These glimpses into the past I found in downtown Newark, NJ. I had been going back and forth between New York and New Jersey judging a garden contest for the past two afternoons. (...and yes, there are plenty of gardens in Newark, wise guy). From the train station to the meeting point is the central stretch of downtown, a very busy Market Street. Along it are some great old arcades, facades, and other eye catchers. Only got two pics since I was striding at a steady clip to make it there before the start of the afternoon session. Still, I think they're great looking. I wonder if the salesmen at The Furniture King were some slick-suited and smiling fellows.

No comments: