Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Early Sunday Morning"


Edward Hopper (1882-1967)
Early Sunday Morning
1930
Oil on Canvas
35" x 60"
Whitney Museum of American Art, New York
(image courtesy of Wikipedia.org)

Hopper is without a doubt one of my favorite American realist painters. In addition to his work with oils he was also an exceptional printmaker, two art forms I wish I had more time to explore and practice myself. His slow and methodical depictions of "modern" American life put great emphasis on different every-day environments and the placement of human forms within those environments. His work provides for me a personal connection and sense of timelessness that I think is simply sensational. If the sky were the limit I would own many a Hopper painting and invite people over for afternoon viewings so we could all just stare and marvel and be inspired. Believe it or not Wikipedia actually has a great number of links to Hopper's paintings towards the bottom of his wikipedia bio.

Happy early Sunday morning.


On the stereo: Vince Guaraldi Trio, A Charlie Brown Christmas

No comments: