Saturday, June 26, 2010

Plant ID: June Perennials

Dear Alex,
I'd appreciate it if you could let me know the names of the plants below. Thanks for always being so helpful.
-Andrea R. (New York, NY)

gooseneck loosestrife (Lysimachia clethroides) - great plant but extremely aggressive (in my opinion truly invasive!) so I always warn the home gardener against this one. For the older, longer arborboy post about Lysimachia clethroides click here.

perennial geranium (Geranium ...?) - not sure which specific cultivar this is, but we can try and figure that out when we see each other next.

Prichard's Variety bellflower (Campanula lactiflora 'Prichard's Variety') - great plant, relatively new to me, but growing on me quickly. The foliage on the right side of the photo (more rounded in shape) is the neighboring meadow rue (Thalictrum).

thread-leaf blue star or Arkansas ble star (Amsonia hubrichtii) - LOVE this plant! Full sun, pretty little spring flowers but the golden fall color - fahgettaboutit!

maiden grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus') - probably one of the more popular ornamental grasses out there in the trade. Some states consider it invasive but for us I have to admit I've never had real issues with it.

Great photos Andrea - thanks for sharing!

(all photographs are the personal property of my friend Andrea, with all rights reserved. Thank you for not stealing.)

No comments: