Sunday, April 6, 2008

"Early Sunday Morning"

This is a painting by Edward Hopper entitled "Early Sunday Morning". An American painter, Hopper created this oil on canvas in 1930. There is something about the timelessness and serenity of Hopper's artwork that forever speaks to me. When I first moved to the city before starting such regular work I would treat myself to museum visits as much as I could. The Whitney Museum has a great number of Hopper's paintings in its collections. I would also go to the Met to see the work of Modigliani. Born in Italy in 1884, Amedeo Modigliani (Amedeo, that's a great name isn't it?) eventually moved to France where he created both sculptures and paintings that have such a rich earthy sensuality to them. At least to me they do; art is so subjective really. I didn't know about Modigliani's early sculptures until an exhibit I saw only a few years ago here in the city. But I've always been a fan of his nudes. Again, talk about capturing a moment, an intimacy, a simple yet sensuous moment in time. This one I used to always search out at the Met when I had time, a reclining nude from 1917 (maybe?):
It's a pretty gray day in Astoria, Queens. Having worked in one of my clients' gardens all day in the sun yesterday, I woke up not entirely motivated to trek to the gym as I often try to do. Coffee and artwork and projectizing sound more my speed today than lifting more heavy objects. I have some blank canvases my love got me for Christmas that I have yet to taint with paint. I'm out of titanium white. I guess a little bike ride around the neighborhood would help.

Whatever you choose, gym or art or just another cup of coffee, enjoy the day. Create something if you can. You'll feel better after you do.


On the stereo: Talking Heads, 77

No comments: