Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I hate getting angry


I wish I knew more about copyrights and copyright laws.

With digital photography and all the image swapping and stealing that happens on the internet I wonder how someone can protect their photography. I will admit it, I am by no means perfect. I have done the infamous Google image search when putting together a last-minute powerpoint or blog post. But boy, do I have a different take on that now. I was talking to a friend after work about various greening initiatives here in the city and she tells me about a website she thinks I'll be interested in. Then she tells me that she saw my photograph on the website. Now even more curious I quickly enter the URL. It might be a good website and worth mentioning, but for now, no, not so much. Sure enough there is a little post about the green wall in Williamsburg at Oulu and photos from last summer. And low and behold one of them is my photograph, the same one that made the Hospitality Design Magazine cover. So I think, "cool, let me check this out". I skim through the text and get to the bottom of the post. "Photos by Gates" it reads. Whaa? Huh? Gates? Gates who? That's my goddamned image!

Yeah, I lost it. I didn't hear another word Marni said and thank God we agreed to touch base again in a few days. I was fuming. I wrote a nasty comment on the blog (or whatever that website is) and then found an email for the editor. Now, hours later, I of course feel badly that I was so mean in the email, but at the time, oh, I definitely thought it was validated. Geez, getting angry can be so exhausting. How terrible to be so angry I'm cursing at a perfect stranger via an email! Oh, yeah, that's healthy! Shit. Dare I say, not my finest hour.

But you know what, if you steal a photograph with intention to reuse it on the web, damnit, try to find a photo credit and add it. It usually only takes a minute. I have posted on various blogs and websites that I do not allow reproduction of my photographs without my consent, and honestly I know that is a pipe dream. But at least in all cases previous to today people gave me credit for my images so there was no reason to get angry. But today, I felt taken advantage of, and I don't tolerate that. Usually you can find an email to contact and people are so thankful that you actually took the time to do it right. Not to mention, really, it's what you should do. I know this might sound like a ridiculous request, to actually contact a person before you use their photography, but on behalf of those of us who are trying to make something substantial of our photography, please try, it really does make a difference. And again, I know I'm not perfect, but from now on, trust me, I will definitely think twice before I "save as...".

No comments: