Monday, April 14, 2008

space photography

I was cleaning out the old inbox this evening and was reminded of a neat website a friend had passed on to me some months back. Who knows where LB found this, but the photos seem genuine, and some of them are really amazing. Of course, it doesn't hurt that NASA probably has the best cameras in the world.

When I lived on the west coast in 2000 I remember a show of NASA photography at the SF MOMA that blew my mind. Huge printed moonscapes spanned the walls. It was easy to stand there and get lost in the texture and craters, the alien landscape, the many shades of gray. And then you see the tiny American flag on the astronauts space suit and realize it is a color photograph! You stand back and your eyes get even bigger, which you didn't was possible. All of a sudden you can stare all over again. A pretty excellent combination of science and art I 'spose.

But c'mon, who isn't fascinated by space!?
Check out Texas Jim's pics

No comments: