Friday, April 25, 2008

F U NYPD

For those of you not here in New York, three of the five NYPD police officers responsible for the death of Sean Bell, the unarmed groom-to-be who was shot to death in November of 2006 outside the Kalua gentlemen's club, were acquitted of all charges yesterday by a judge in Queens. To even write that sentence makes my blood boil. One of the officers was Detective Michael Oliver who alone shot 31 bullets. And he was let off, entirely.

The NYPD disgusts me to the point where I am totally tongue-tied. Every day I pass cops on my commute, standing there, staring women up and down, and text messaging with their heads down, while I watch plenty of others on the road and the sidewalk creating plenty of violations worthy of being written up. My favorite is when there are people double parked all up and down Steinway, screwing up traffic and making it impossible for trucks to get through, but the cops are double parked too, right on the corner in the middle of the crosswalk. Nothing is going to get in the way of Sargent Fatass and his street meat vendor! The sidekick in the passenger seat, text messaging. The NYPD racially profiles when they do random parcel searches in the subway, I've seen it. In many situations I get away because I'm the unsuspecting white guy in nice clothes.

What a bunch of fuckups. But at the same time they are not all as stupid as I sometimes think. The defendents waived their right to a jury, I'm sure knowing full well it gave them a better chance. I did not hear the trial and I do not know what the judge heard that dictated his final descision, but damn right I question our judicial system right now. We have police living and working above the law, responsible for the death of an innocent unarmed man, and a judicial system that doesn't think that is criminal in any way. I just don't get it.

We sat and talked about it all when we got home, trying not to get so livid and failing miserably at keeping our cool. The thing is, how long does it take to shoot 31 bullets? I'm going to guess 30 seconds, maybe? give or take a few seconds? That sure seems like enough time to me to realize, "hey, maybe that guy doesn't have a gun and isn't trying to kill me". But no, he kept firing, as did his colleagues. They killed a man, and tomorrow they'll get to wake up and go about their usual business with no hindrance but mental anguish they might suffer. I hope the guilt rips away at their souls until they die weak and alone. Again, I just don't get it. How is 31 bullets not criminal?

The day faded into night and we sat in here while the streets were calm out there. My boss had to drive right by the courthouse during the verdict and she sailed through smoothly. No riots, no major lashing out by people in the city. The Bell family stayed composed and spoke against violence causing violence. They want peace, and they are obviously stronger than I right now. I wish those cops were in jail for life or dead. It's a terrible feeling to be so disgusted by the men and women who are supposedly here to protect and to serve. On the sides of cop cars in the city is written "CPR". Courtesy, Professionalism, Respect. Yeah, tell me where I can find that Ray Kelly? You're just as vile as the rest of them.

I just hope that no retaliation doesn't mean that we the public have gotten too jaded. Because this action is allowed to happen doesn't mean we have to just sit idle and let it. It's depressing to think we allow these atrocities to happen and don't do more about it. I wonder with all seriousness, what can I do, aside from wear a political tee shirt? My love is taking us out for drinks and a good meal to try and get our minds off it for a minute. Damn, vodka never sounded so good.

On the turntable: Thee Headcoats, Headcoats Down
Thee Headcoats - Headcoats Down!

No comments: