Wednesday, April 9, 2008

a sensational night (for impromptu floral design)

I worked hard today. Hell, I've worked hard all year. But today I woke and thought, "today I'm having fun." And that is what I did. A friend and I were invited to create a few floral designs for The Horticultural Society of New York for their yearly Flowers and Design gala. With a theme of "Garden Party" Kate and I thought up two variations that came pretty naturally to us, namely games and the beach! The concept for the first table, basically the one we were most excited about, came as were talking about lawn games one might play at a garden party. Our favorite option ended up being croquet and we thought, "we can make this happen!" It only took a few hours for me to create after we got out of the Flower District and toy store.


For the other we didn't have such a definite idea but we knew we wanted to try and achieve more of a tropical seaside garden party kind of vibe. We didn't hesitate when it came to strong and bold foliage and accented the table with beach sand and shells from home and various travels.


It was my first real attempt at floral design and it was great fun. It was one hell of an event and donning the tuxedo felt pretty good. I do good work and damnit, I'm allowed to celebrate. I cropped and resized this pic of Maureen (the event coordinator) and I and didn't know what to name it. Then I thought of my cousin Max down in Fort Lauderdale and it came to me. "Ballers"! (lol)(maybe you can't see the black and white wing-tips, but I assure you, they are there! Cheers, aef)

No comments: